Sunday, July 5, 2009

When we left Florence this morning I very nearly left some clothes in the cupboard! Thankfully Rox, purely by chance, opened the cupboard when we went back to the room to use the loo after breakfast!

I woke up this morning with opera songs in my head for the second day in a row – must be the effect Italy is having on me – I’m not complaining, it’s lovely having this soundtrack in my head! (fortunately no-one is talking in there just yet, that's when I'll get worried, giggle) When I get home I’m going to buy myself an Andrea Bocelli CD to remind myself of these glorious days.

As we left Florence for the hour long drive to Pisa we were again greeted by seas of sunflowers and also stunning topiary trees in an enormous nursery on the outskirts of Florence.

We arrived in Pisa at about 9am and, contrary to what I was expecting, it was very quiet and peaceful. We caught a little train to the leaning tour. Pisa is a truly lovely place, the leaning tower is obviously amazing, but the cathedral and baptistery are also very beautiful.


Of course we had to take the obligatory photos of the girls pushing the tower. Watching the people get into the poses for these photos was hilarious, really tickled my admittedly warped sense of humour! And the shouting back and forth between the photographers and the posees.... too funny.
 We then took a wander. I found a lovely little foodie shop and bought some souvenirs and a big bottle of Limoncello – I figure I’ll probably need some help getting over my post-holiday depression!! LOL!
The trip from Pisa to Lucerne felt never ending. Today was the day that we got to sit in the very front of the bus, towards the end of the journey I could acknowledge that this was a good thing, it was very picturesque, but the middle part of the journey was not good – I get really bad motion-sickness and being in the front of the bus on that twisty turny road…… We did however get to see Lake Como – SO gorgeous and not only because George Clooney has a pad there. Sadly we never got to have coffee with George.

We went through a number of tunnels, with the longest being 17 km long; it is currently the longest tunnel in Europe! And yes, the whole concept of driving under a mountain for 17kms, totally freaked me out.... I am such a wuss!

Once we arrived in Lucerne we got on our optional lake cruise. Very pretty! Although there was a great big storm headed our way which made me quite nervous! I made the biggest faux pas of my life on the boat when I thought I had dropped Rox's camera into Lake Lucerne. Long story. Thankfully the camera lives on.

We then went to the poignant Lion Monument. That was very sad-making.


Okay, now I have to apologise in advance if you are Swiss, have friends or relatives who are Swiss, or love all things Swiss - if this is the case, maybe you don't want to read this blog again until I leave Switzerland...... I had issues with Switzerland. Before the tour I assumed that Switzerland would be my favourite place. I love all things clean, pretty and organised and I had heard that Switzerland was all that and more. And it was. My problem was with the people. Maybe I just met and dealt with the handful of Swiss who are blunt, rude and patronising? I don't know, but nearly all the Swiss people I came into contact with were just that. Or maybe it was the contrast - coming from Italy where the people are passionate and vibrant and fun (if a little chaotic and disorganised) to a country where they are so overly efficient and organised... and cold and annoying.... Anyway, whatever it was, be prepared, because this is the bit where I moan a lot....

We finally headed to our hotel. I was very disappointed in this hotel, I rate it a close 2nd to Ludwigshafen in the "worst hotel of the tour" stakes. I found the staff extremely rude. The receptionist at the hotel accused me of trying to use the internet without paying - I had paid - 5 euro for 20 minutes. Then the woman in charge of the dining-room wouldn't allow our tour group to enter and sit down, even though the room was clearly ready - it was 19:55 and not the appointed time of 20:00! Irritating, not what I needed at the end of a long day. Supper was potato soup, beef goulash and chocolate mousse. It was nice, but with 52 of us, plus another Italian tour group in a crowded hot room – it got a tad noisy and unpleasant.

Let’s just say I am feeling quite tired and grumpy at the end of today! And the lovely Italian soundtrack in my head has dried up, all I hear now is yodelling....

No comments:

Post a Comment