Tuesday, June 30, 2009

We left our hotel at 7:30am after a breakfast of cornflakes and rolls with a selection of pates and jams. We soon got onto the autobahn, bound for Munich, stopping at a service stop after a couple of hours where I bought my first pretzel. Eees gut ja!! We were all totally fascinated by the self-cleaning loo – after flushing, the seat of the loo automatically begins to rotate through this cleaning device. Such a pity I couldn’t have captured it on video.

As we drove into Munich we saw the Olympic stadium. Again, Gerry gave us so much information before we arrived – he told us all about the war, the Olympics, the hostage drama etc. He really is brilliant.

Munich is a lovely city, clean and with very pretty areas. Gerry took us to the Hofbräuhaus and for a brief walk through the city, to the Marienplatz, where we saw the glockenspiel and the beautiful town halls.
Old town hall (above)

New town hall (and yes, it does look older than the Old Town Hall!)

All the time it was like invisible ropes were pulling the five of us back to the Hofbräuhaus! So eventually we gave in and headed back there for lunch ;-) Grant had suckling pig (the swine!), Rox and I had meatballs and a warm potato salad with delicious red cabbage, I can’t remember what Dad and Paula ate – must be because of the BEER!

Hofbrauhaus


On the way back to the meeting spot Grant bought us cones of cherries and strawberries. Oh my word, I have never tasted such delicious fruit in my whole life! I salivate just thinking about it! Life is gut ya!!

Back on the bus and we drove for a couple more hours. It’s amazing how the people on tour are becoming friends. Much laughing and chatting…and I don’t think it’s just the beer ;-) As we drove along the countryside became more mountainous, with lovely little villages inbetween. After a very scenic drive, we arrived in Innsbruck in Austrian Tyrol. We saw the ski jump and ice skating stadium from the Winter olympics some years ago.

Innsbruck is too beautiful. It has buildings that look like something out of a fairy tale. Amazing. Gerry walked us into the centre of town to the golden roof – much more beautiful in real life than on the website I looked at before our trip.

We visited the Swarovski shop, where the girls bought some small pieces of jewellery.
We ate Mozart balls – marzipan balls coated in dark chocolate, very delicious. Then we had gorgeous ice-creams and took a walk back to the golden roof for another look.


Finally we wandered down to the river. It was quite fascinating, as we got closer to the river the temperature dropped noticeably – that water must be really cold!


Once we had all met up and boarded the bus, it was off to the alpine village of Igls, where out hotel was located. I know I can be very gushy, but seriously, this village was like something out of a picture book. Too, too gorgeous! Rox was begging us to leave her there forever and Paula has already got her eye on a house ;-)



We are staying in the hotel Bon Alpina, which has a swimming pool, so after a walk around the village, Grant and Paula opted to have a swim. For supper we had salad, soup, schnitzel with potatoes and apple strudel. We had a super waiter, a real character, with the unlikely name of Herr Mustafa.

The girls with Herr Mustafa

7 comments:

  1. Hello gill, Sheryl from Brisbane Australia. My husband (Roy)and I are going on a Trafalgar tour in August. We leave Brisbane 22 Aug and return 16 Sept. Our tour is Cavalcade 17 days. We have a couple of days in London first and a couple of days stopover in HongKong. Have loved reading your blog and looking at your pics. Glad you had a good time. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheryl, I think a 17 day tour is perfect, our 12 days was a little bit too short - I felt another 5 days would be just right. You may get Gerry as your guide as he said he was doing a 17 day tour in Sept. If you do you will be in good hands! Hope you have a wonderful time and thanks for reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent two weeks in Tyrol over a Christmas and New Years. The food was fabulous and the hotel we stayed at placed a Mozart "Kugel" on our pillows at night. Lets just say I returned to South Africa a little more rounded than when I left!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Natalian, yep I have also returned significantly rounder than when I left - but boy it was worth every kg ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo - I'll be in Munich again in October for (another!) Oktoberfest! Isn't it a wonderful city? Just the right size and SO clean and friendly! I also rememebr that golden roof in Innsbruck - my mom and I drove from Innsbruck in 1995 to see King Ludwig's fairytale castles in Bavaria - it was probably the best trip of my life...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jeanne, you lucky thing! Grant and I both read your Oktoberfest blog posts and would love to do it oneday - it's on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gill

    Just luv reading your blog. I am from Durban and we want to do a 12 day tour with my 6 year old daughter...do you think that she will manage?
    Jothie

    ReplyDelete