Wednesday, July 1, 2009

We left Igls at 7:30am, bound for Venice, but first the most breathtaking drive through the Brenner Pass. Gerry, in one of his cheesier moments, had the soundtrack to “Sound of Music” playing as we drove through Austria – sounds ridiculous now, but at the time there was something remarkably fitting about a bus load of tourists, humming along to “The hills are alive……” and taking in the alpine views!!! Loved it! As we got to the Italian border the soundtrack became suitably Italian…..

Even though we are now in Italy, the scenery it much the same – alpine villages, pine trees, brilliant green grass and a background of snow topped mountains.


It doesn’t come more beautiful than this! We saw baroque-style churches, characteristic for their “onion-topped” spires - yes, Gerry has been teaching us about architecture too! There were farm-houses with the barn attached to the house, as the cattle need to be kept warm and close by during the Winter, during the Summer they are freed up in the mountains to graze.

Slowly the countryside began to change, becoming flatter. We stopped at a service stop (toilets and shops to stock up on food and drink) and tried out the Italian Gerry has been teaching us. I had my first ever Brioche – a custard filled croissant basically; very, very good! (Why does it seem that when it comes to me, this tour is largely about the food and drink???)

We arrived in Venice, on the mainland and had to take a water taxi (piloted by the most delicious looking man I have ever laid my eyes on…..)to Venezia.
Venice is spectacular.
The doges palace

St Marks Basilica

St Marks square was amazing, but what I found even more enchanting were the little streets and the smaller canals. We saw a glass-blowing demonstration and then had free time to wander about, in and out of little shop-lined passages.


We had lunch at a canalside restaurant near the Rialto bridge. Paula ate her first genuine Italian pasta – she’s waited a long time for this! Rox and I had pizza which was good, but what really blew us away were the Bellinis! I could grow very used to those!

After lunch we wandered some more, buying a couple of souvenirs and taking in the very unique atmosphere of Venice. Tonight Andrea Bocelli is singing in St Marks Square and while we were waiting at our meeting point in the square the orchestra was practising. “Time to say goodbye” was one of the songs they played and I am sure that I will always be transported right back to Venice every time I hear it from now on. Hearing that beautiful music in that special place gave me goosebumps.

We then headed off for a gondola ride. Our group filled 9 gondolas altogether, complete with bottles of Prosecco, a musician and a singer. So there we were, gliding along the canals, sipping chilled Prosecco, being serenaded in Italian. Wow! This, people, is the life! At one point the singer had us all join in singing “Volare” – such fun, so funny!


We then had a water taxi ride down the main canal, fantastic photo opportunities. It’s all just SO beautiful.
Finally it was back to reality – a short bus ride to our hotel in Marghera. Here we had much needed showers (Venice was HOT!), a typical Italian supper and bed.

3 comments:

  1. How funny to see your photos of the very same places that I visited a week ago!! I'm so glad you loved Venice - people seem to either love or hate it. I'm firmly in the "love" camp!! But sjoe, it was hot though!! Like walking through warm soup every day. We sat sipping Prosecco on St Mark's square one evening, listening to the live music that some of the bars have and it was so magical (although my little nephew could not get over the fact that I had spent "FOUR HUNDRED RAND!" on three drinks and the cover charge ;-) Didn't think explaining exchange rates and the strength of the Pound as opposed to the Rand to a 6 yr old was worth it! And hey, I saw those Andrea Bocelli posters - sorry we missed it. I remember standing in Law Vegas watching the ludicrously beautiful musical fountains at the Bellagio and they played this - every time I hear it, that's where I get transported back to. Don't you just LOVE travel?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love travel, absolutely love it. Trouble is I want to see it all.... so many places, so little money. Talking of which - I'll never ever convert pound to rand again in my life, I'd rather not know that we spent R300 each for a drink and a plate of curry :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughed out loud when I read of your group's rendition of Volare! Our group took to singing it (of a fashion) during some of our night-time coach rides back to our hotel.....what a hoot! great fun...we even cheekily asked, when prompted to for song requests, a trio of Spanish musicians to play Volare for us in Madrid over dinner....they kindly granted our wish, explaining politely it wasn't a Spanish tune!!

    ReplyDelete